Ten Things I Tell People Interested In Getting Into The Advertising Industry
Every so often, I get asked about how to get into the advertising industry. These are ten things I’ve said at various points in time to various people. Some of them eventually wound up in the industry.
- It’s not easy to get into the industry, but it’s easy to stay in it.
- The industry is built on the backs of single young people willing to work overtime.
- It’s hard to tell who has a harder job, accounts people or creatives. But it’s easiest to get into the industry as an accounts person and hardest as a creative.
- For all the interest people express at wanting to get into strategic planning, few are actually any good at it.
- There are too few people doing any kind of meaningful digital work in the industry.
- The single best thing you can do to improve your chances of getting a job in the industry is to learn to read Google Analytics.
- Your parents probably won’t understand what you do, but they’ll appreciate seeing your work wherever they can find it.
- Everyone cries in the office at some point in time. No one talks about it.
- How you deal with the stress of work is as important as the quality of the work you do.
- It isn’t what you know, it’s who you know. Specifically, it’s who you impress.